Who We Are
The West Multnomah Soil & Water Conservation District is a publicly funded local government (special district) conservation organization located in Portland, Oregon. Our mission is to provide resources, information, and expertise to inspire people to actively improve air and water quality, fish and wildlife habitat, and soil health. We do this by providing conservation planning services and technical and financial assistance to landowners and land managers in our District.
We are pleased to announce our search for a Budget & Fiscal Manager. This position is responsible for planning, organizing, managing, and directing accounting, disbursements, purchasing, financial reporting, auditing, budget development and compliance, payroll administration, and other financial functions for the District.
What You Will Do
Duties include preparing monthly and annual financial reports, ensuring that District accounting practices and financial reports are compliant with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), Government Accounting Standards Board (GASB), state and federal law, and the District’s policies, procedures, and other guidelines. In addition, this position is responsible for gathering and consolidating detailed support for the annual budget and ensuring compliance with Oregon Budget Law. Other responsibilities include evaluating, developing, implementing, and managing District internal controls, financial policies, and procedures; reviewing financial transactions to ensure alignment with the adopted budget, and accounting and reporting requirements; and managing efficient and effective month-end and year-end closing processes.
In addition, this position oversees administrative contractors (e.g., information technology service provider, health insurance agency, bookkeeper, and payroll service provider) and works closely with the District Manager and Board Treasurer in reviewing the District’s monthly financial statements and communicating budgetary, financial, and audited information to the Board. The Budget & Fiscal Manager also works closely with the Tax Supervising & Conservation Commission (TSCC), the external auditor, and financial and administrative personnel of the Oregon Department of Agriculture, the U.S. Department of Agriculture Natural Resources Conservation Service, and the Oregon Watershed Enhancement Board on grant-related issues. The Budget & Fiscal Manager reports directly to the District Manager and serves on the District’s Leadership Team.
For this position, we require:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, economics, statistics, business administration, public administration, or related field.
- Five (5) years of progressively responsible budgeting, financial management, business or related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Commitment to the District’s work on diversity, equity, and inclusion, including utilizing tools such as an equity lens in decision making.
The following qualifications are helpful in this role:
- Experience with and knowledge of Oregon Local Budget Law or a demonstrated willingness and ability to learn Local Budget Law.
- Experience with and knowledge of Oregon public contracting rules and law or a demonstrated willingness and ability to learn Oregon public contracting rules and law.
- Advanced Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, Teams) skills or a demonstrated willingness and ability to become an advanced user.
- Advanced information and records management skills or a demonstrated willingness and ability to develop skills for organizing and managing records in compliance with state retention requirements.
- Experience developing and managing an annual work plan and administrating a program budget for a financial or administrative program.
- Certified Public Accountant or Certified Public Finance Officer.
- Possess a valid driver’s license.
Specific responsibilities can be found in the detailed position description linked below.
Compensation and Benefits
The Budget & Fiscal Manager position is full-time (exempt) with a salary range from $6,282- $9,718 per month. This can be a hybrid position based in Oregon (in-office work from our office in Portland combined with remote work).
We offer a generous benefits package which includes medical, dental, and vision coverage, short and long-term disability, life insurance, Oregon Public Employees Retirement System (PERS) participation, optional employee-contribution retirement plan, health reimbursement arrangement (HRA) plan, cell phone stipend, wellness program, employee assistance program, ten paid holidays, alternative/flexible work schedules, personal time, sick leave, and paid vacation leave.
If you are interested in joining us, we encourage you to apply! For confidential consideration, please submit a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com with the subject line “WMSWCD Budget & Fiscal Manager.” Your cover letter and resume should include details adequate to evaluate how you meet the required and, as relevant, preferred qualifications. Complete applications must be received by January 4, 2023. Cascade Employers Association is assisting with this recruitment.
Applicants are eligible for Veterans’ Preference when applying with West Multnomah Soil & Water Conservation District. For more information on required materials to submit, please see our Veterans’ Preference Policy.
West Multnomah Soil & Water Conservation District is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on any class or identity including age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, and veteran status.